Monday 10 October 2011

Liverpool Design Festival

Yesterday I took a little road trip to Liverpool for the Design Festival, it was the last day so I wasn't expecting much but was really please as it was really good! It had talks, workshops, and a catwalk.
Lots of designer stalls showcasing ceramics, furniture, jewellery fashion and interiors! Well known names such as Tatty Devine.

I took part in a workshop with Tatty Devine to make tape measure brooches and a workshop with Emily Lansley to customise a t-shirt, good fun!



One of the last stalls I saw was Orwell & Goode, and their screen printed interiors gave me some good ideas for my personal project as I am attempting some similar products.
www.orwellandgoode.com

As I am planning to make a lampshade for one of my products it was really handy to ask Bronagh and Zuzana some questions about flammable materials and silk screening.

 
I surprised how much detail and small lines can be achieved through screen-printing, I was always told it had to be block shapes so that has always limited my designs but Orwell and Goode assured me that as long as the line is prominent and not broken up it works well and with a nice effect.


Amanda Mercer
Was a big hit! her stall was always full as it was displaying lots of porcelain goodies! 
www.amanda-mercer.co.uk


 
Faye Powers
Faye Powers stall left a great impression on me, combining textiles and illustration.
www.fayepower.webs.com

Her fabric pieces, cushions and bags, are screen printing




and her ceramics and transfer paper



I think similar to Faye, this is how I see my Illustration future. A combination of illustration, surface design and crafts. reaching for the retail market.

No comments:

Post a Comment