Saturday 3 December 2011

Creative Review


We have had two 'Creative Review' meetings so far. We put forward a book, article, film and exhibition and to talk a little about them.





The first film I took with me was What's eating Gilbert Grape, one of my favourite films! Not usually a well-known film and I only acknowledged it because we got it free with a newspaper one day and on the cover was a young Johnny Depp and a very young Leonardo DiCaprio. “Centered around the Grape family Ellen and Amy and their two brothers Arnie (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Gilbert (Johnny Depp), along with their morbidly obese widowed mother Bonnie Grape.”
A few from the group recognized the film or took note of it.



I thought it was very beneficial listening to the group share films, as I didn’t recognize any of them so took note and later purchased them to watch. I bought:

  • Amile (2001)
  • Big Fish (2004)
  • Pans Labyrinth (2006)
  • The Science of Sleep (2006)
  • The Life Aquatic (2010)



I really enjoyed watching them! Except ‘The Life Aquatic’, I found it really boring. I liked how they all had a serial and unusual style to them and they were really relaxing to watch.



After ordering them of Amazon, the website generated a recommended list of films I may like. One was ‘Everything is illuminated’ (2005) with Elijah Wood, so I also bought that. It was the best out of them all, loved it and I took it to the next creative review session as my recommended film. “Jonathan Foer (Elijah Wood) as, a young American Jewish man, goes on a quest to find the woman who saved his grandfather during the Holocaust in a small Ukrainian town called Trachimbrod that was wiped off the map when the Nazis liquidated Eastern European. His guides are a cranky grandfather; his deranged Border collie named Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.; and his over-enthusiastic grandson, Alex,”





I also recommended The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor by designer Mark Montano as my book, one of my many books I own home décor and surface design at the moment, but this book is a little different, its designs are more modern and bold then most and it doesn’t want to be the usual, pretty, perfect book. ”Perfection is overrated”. (Mark Montano)





 The British Ceramics Biennial, Stoke-on-Trent was my current exhibition, I went on the 9th November, It has been my best exhibition to date and I had to share the experience with the group. (For further details see blog post)


No comments:

Post a Comment